Open 10:30–5:00, Tuesday – Saturday
Painter to Painter (Zoom)
Diana Copperwhite and Liliane Tomasko
Wednesday 5th April at 3pm
In the second of the series Painter to Painter talks, programmed as part of Diana Copperwhite’s national touring exhibition, Onomatopoeia, Liliane Tomasko and Diana Copperwhite connect in this online talk.
Liliane Tomasko and Diana Copperwhite have a great respect for each other’s practice, and regular visitors to Highlanes Gallery will have seen Tomasko’s stellar site responsive exhibition S P E L L O F T H E W O O D in summer 2022, where Liliane also took inspiration from a work of the same title by 20th century maverick painter, Nano Reid, and may also have seen Copperwhite’s eclipse of a title, solo exhibition, in 2007, from which Six Degrees of Separation was acquired to the Collection.
Witness these two highly regarded painters in a discussion about process and practice in motion.
Diana Copperwhite amalgamates images from the internet, photographs, and real life, unifying these sources in paintings that critically assess the medium’s ability to represent images, sensations and ideas. Her work has many layers and associations. She uses the square, circle and rectangle within the compositions, which reference portals, windows and screens that shift and move. For her these are echoes of early modernist painting, and contemporary ideas around memory and science and how this affects the stability of images, perception, time and audience. Diana Copperwhite, lives and works in Dublin, Ireland
Liliane Tomasko’s abstract paintings employ a distinctive, bold lyricism, with an equally unabashed sense of colour. The artist often begins with a study of the personal effects of everyday domesticity such as bedding or clothing to create work that suggests a gateway into the realms of sleep and dreaming; delving into the gulf between what we understand as the ‘conscious’ and ‘subconscious.’ Recent paintings display an increasing vitality and assertiveness, articulating an abstraction that is rooted in the physical realm but attempting a departure from it. Intense colour, subtle tone, shadows and painterly gesture are woven together in such a way that space comes in and out of focus, suspending one’s perception of them and thus emulating the clarity, or lack thereof, of dreams and memories.
Liliane Tomasko was born in Zurich, Switzerland, and lives and works in New York and Mooseurach, Germany.
IMPORTANT: When booking, please note your Zoom Link will be available through your confirmation email as well as your reminder email 2-days prior. Clicking the View the Event button will bring you to the Eventbrite Page where you can Join the Zoom Call. Please check your Junk/Clutter if you do not receive it in your main email box.
• One ticket need only be purchased per household/screen
• A maximum of 60 screens/attendees/families may be admitted to the Session.
• Zoom Meetings are recorded for archival & publishing (via our Youtube channel)
Zoom Guidelines & Settings
• The required ZOOM link will be sent to all attendees via Eventbrite and accessed through the View the Event button through both Confirmation Email & 2-Day Reminder Email before the event starts.
• If email from Eventbrite is not shown in your main email list, please make sure to check your Junk/Clutter/Spam/etc folder as this will have View the Event button in order to join through Eventbrite.
• As further protection, each unique link will be accompanied with a password only for those intending to participate, and sent to the email used to book through Eventbrite
• ZOOM’s ‘Waiting Room’ feature has been enabled, allowing the host to check and admit attendees to the session. Please make sure your ZOOM username/profile name matches that which was used to book through Eventbrite
• Use of Social Media Accounts to sign into the ZOOM meeting have been disabled to protect privacy of attendees
• File Sharing has been disabled
• ZOOM’s Chat Save function will be disabled
• ZOOM’s Private Chat function will be enabled