THE BATHE HOUSE
1823
Robert Armstrong  
The Bathe House by Robert Armstrong
Photograph © Drogheda Borough Council
View Larger Image
Wash Drawing on Paper
Dimensions: 20 x 22 cm
Permanent Catalogue No. DMAC 0042
Provenance: Purchased by the Drogheda Municipal Art Gallery and Museum Committee, 1955

Signed bottom left: Robt. Armstrong

The Bathe House was one of the finest of the many wooden houses in Drogheda, erected in 1570 for Nicholas Bathe, of a Norman family, one of whom had been Mayor of Drogheda in 1356. The house was built chiefly of oak from Mellifont Park (Old Mellifont Abbey) and stood on the apex of the corner of Shop and St. Laurence Street. It was deemed to be dangerous and was demolished by order of the Corporation of Drogheda in 1824. This view is taken from the St. Laurence Street elevation. See Cassidy (q.v.) for a view of the house from the Shop Street elevation.
previous page
calendar / other activities
Receive regular email updates from Highlanes Gallery. Sign-up to join our mailing list.
sign up
website by callan computers
bookmark this page
Home   |   About   |   Collection   |   Search   |   Shop Online Copyright © Highlanes Gallery Ltd.   |   Privacy Policy
Banbridge District Council The Arts Council Louth County Council INTERREG IIIA
International Fund For Ireland