Evie Hones career began with her painting under the guidance of Walter Sickert in London and later in Paris, under André Lhôte and subsequently Albert Gleizes. As she began to tire of non-representational work she discovered her true métier in stained glass.
She was an admirer of the work of Georges Roault (1871-1958) and like him, she was a Roman Catholic. Studying with Wilhelmina Geddes (1887-1955) gave her a firm comprehension of working in stained glass, later working with An Túr Gloine, the stained glass co-operative established by Sarah Purser (1848-1943). Her noted depiction of The Four Green Fields, exhibited at in the Irish Pavilion, World’s Fair, New York 1938; now in the Department of Taoiseach, Dublin.
She exhibited at the Dublin Painters Gallery and at salons in Paris, being elected Associate of the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1955. Hone had a strong family connection with County Louth spending many summers at Barmeath Castle, Grangebellew near Drogheda.